5 great reasons to shop locally...
- Boost your local economy - local businesses often buy from other local suppliers or farms, so there will be a positive effect on your local economy.
- Save money - there is a great misconception that supermarkets are cheap because of all the offers and price comparison websites that we are continually bombarded by. However, local farm shops and butchers are regularly cheaper than the supermarket and usually provide a vastly superior product.
- Help the environment - local businesses buying from other local businesses, also means less food miles, equalling less pollution and congestion.
- Reduce waste, save money & help the environment - This a huge problem within the UK, we currently throw away 7.2 million tonnes of food each year. Stop it, and the average family could save around £600 a year. By shopping locally you are more likely to only buy what you need, rather than filling your car boot full of items that will perish and then end up in the bin! If we stop wasting food, the CO2 impact would be the equivalent of taking 1 in 5 cars off the road.
- Improve your well-being - Local produce will often be fresher than its supermarket counterpart as it will have travelled less miles to your dinner plate. It can take up to two weeks for vegetables to reach the supermarkets, but shop at your local farm shop and it could have been picked that morning. Fruit and vegetables lose nutrients as they age and processed foods frequently found in supermarkets are usually high in saturated fat, which increases cholesterol. Consumption of these processed foods can lead to fatigue, depression and greater health problems...no thanks!!
What do we class as local? Local to us is anywhere within a 25 mile radius of the Wirral, so that includes Liverpool and Chester!